Arup Engineering Awareness Week
Designed to give an in-depth insight into the world of engineering, Arup volunteers from different areas of the business support a week of activity with budding engineers of the future.
FOCUS: Give students their very first engineering project to develop their employability skills as well as their knowledge and understanding of the engineering industry.
46 students from a range of schools in Leeds and Manchester were given an exciting hands-on experience in the ninth Arup Engineering Awareness Week.
Staff from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines within the company supported the week, giving groups of students a project as the focus for their activities which they take part in at their state-of-the-art offices in Leeds and Manchester.
Through this project, students are taken through the various steps involved in masterplanning for a large site proposal, developing a number of transferable skills and exploring a number of roles that are crucial in the sector.
The week culminated in students pitching their plans to a panel of senior colleagues at Arup with a winning team being awarded for their ability to meet the brief.
- 97% of the students that took part said it improved their understanding of business
- 92% said Engineering Awareness Week helped them improve their speaking and listening
- 97% said Engineering Awareness Week improved their teamworking skills
- 87% said it improved their confidence and self belief
"We really want to make a positive difference in the world – and that starts with looking for the best and brightest talent to join us. We aim to encourage and excite the next generation of engineers, designers, planners and consultants and we look forward to continuing our work with Ahead Partnership to achieve this goal."
Kay Fisher, Operations Manager, Arup
Results over eight years of delivery:
- 464 budding engineers have applied for a place
- 194 young people have been selected and taken part in Engineering Awareness Week
- 53 schools have had the opportunity to take part